Sunday, August 30, 2015

He is the Vine...

Many times as I have traveled through the image on the front of the current bulletin for this sermon series, I have started a blog post.  Well at least in my head I have.  The image reminds me of what I see almost on a daily basis, fields.  My children already know how to spot grapes growing in the fields or vineyards and as the corn grows higher and the soy beans grow lush, the grapes grow beautiful, green and thick.  Growing up in Southwest Michigan the smell of grapes in the fall is something you come to know and possibly expect.  I even now excitedly await for the first time.  The first time in September when you drive by and catch that beautiful whiff of grapes!  It is almost indescribable. 
But do you know how to care for grapes?  How you must prune then back every year in order for more fruit to produce and so there is not too much shade in the following year.  The most common mistake made is not pruning enough or hard enough.  Knowing how to prune grapes can make the difference between a good crop and a bad one. When pruning grapes, you’ll want to cut off as much of the old wood as possible. This will encourage the growth of new wood, which is where the fruit is produced.  Grapes should be pruned during their dormancy, usually in late winter. When it comes to pruning grapes, the most common mistake people make is not pruning hard enough. Light pruning doesn’t promote adequate fruiting whereas heavy pruning provides the greatest quality of grapes.
Okay, so I am not going to teach you how to plant or take care of your own vineyard, but when I read this I could not help but think how this applies to our faith.  In John 15:1 Jesus says “I am the true vine and my Father is the gardener.”  Have you ever found yourself stuck in your faith?  Maybe not stuck but unsure of what to do next, or perhaps you are perfectly comfortable in where you are in your relationship with God.  I have found that when I am comfortable, it is my dormant season and time for a pruning.  The tricky part is when I reach this place is that I have to wait.  Because you see, I am not my own gardener.  I have to wait to see how, where and when the Lord is going to prune me.   Many times this pruning bends me, stretches me, sometimes it hurts me.  However, the Lord knows how to prune that I may heal and bear more fruit.  I must be patient, while waiting to be pruned and while I heal or grow from the pruning.  I also have to trust that God knows what he is doing, loves me, will do what is best for me and that he will be by my side during this time.  See the branch does not just grow plentiful fruit on its own.  If left to its own, it actually continues to grow less and less fruit.  I am that way as well.  I need my master gardener, THE MASTER GARDENER.  Not so that I may produce the most or taste the best or even look the best, but so I may share him through me.  So that by looking at me or knowing me they also know him.  Truly KNOW him, not just of him. 
I challenge you to take a step back and look at where God may have pruned in your life recently or in the past.  He is encouraging new growth and fruit in and through you, but you have to let him.


Prayer:  Dear Father, my Master Gardener please help me to allow you to encourage new growth and fruit through me.  Lord help me to be patient and also to trust you. Help me to rest and find peace when pruning is not welcome or understood, Lord when it hurts help me to turn to you.  Father help me to receive your love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness and self-control so that I may know you and make you known. Amen

Written and submitted by Jodie Wilson 

1 comment:

  1. I love this. Your timing is impeccable. You should really consider writing for a womens blog where groups of ladies get together and share their life/insights. You are such an encouraging writer.

    ReplyDelete